Monday, December 1, 2008

Day 132 - TAS - Mole Creek

Sorry I'm so slow! I've been busy packing for my trip home but don't worry because I vow to finish the blog before I leave Australia... so here it goes.

We caught a cheap, early flight to Launceston, Tasmania. Just for clarity, Tasmania is a state of Australia but is also an island off the Southeastern tip of the mainland. The island in itself if pretty small and a large percentage of the state remains protected in National Parks. Anyway we flew into Launceston where I rented us a car - I was a little nervous about driving so I took it very slow to start off with. We drove into the city and picked up some food for our 5 day trip and then headed west towards Mole Creek Karst National Park stopping at a local visitor center for a park pass along the way. We reached Mole Creek just before 3pm and went on a cave tour through Marakoopa Cave. We took the Cathedrals, Gardens, and Glo-worms tour. The guide was pretty funny and I really enjoyed seeing the glow worms - I couldn't get any pictures of them though. After the cave tour we headed towards the famous Cradle Mountain. We arrived just before 6 and picked up a campsite. We made some dinner in the "cooking building" and decided to go to bed super early so we could get up at the crack of dawn to begin our hike. We were a bit dismayed to find our tent flap zipper had broken. It was pretty chilly so we slept in all the clothes we could get on.

Not sure why this is so little - click to enlarge

Spooky

A palm tree :0)

Cathedral

Christmas Tree

No comments: